This was due in part to special tax and land deals many of our local governments offered to an out-of-state corporation to build gas-fired power plants that threaten the existing jobs of thousands of workers in our region. What’s worse, the New York millionaire who is seeking these special government deals says that his plants will only create a few dozen full-time jobs.
The good news is that the Ohio Valley Jobs Alliance will continue to stand with the workers of this area and fight these kinds of special deals. In 2015, we saw hundreds and hundreds of people sign up as members to join our cause. We took our message to government meetings, media outlets and community meetings all across the valley. We stood together and let our collective voice be heard – that we are not going to sit by and watch our governments approve special tax and land deals that threaten thousands of our jobs.
We put them on notice; we are not going to be silent when proposed economic policies could potentially decrease the amount of tax dollars we have to spend on important parts of our communities, like quality schools and good roads and bridges.
Our fight continues into 2016 and the Ohio Valley Jobs Alliance is going to continue to stand with the workers who have fueled our economies and built our communities for so many years. Thank you for all the support you gave us in 2015. Our work is not done, and we need your continued help as we continue our struggle for good paying jobs and a strong economy.
Ways You Can Help in 2016
- Please encourage your family, friends and neighbors to join the Ohio Valley Jobs Alliance by visiting http://www.ohiovalleyjobs.org – membership is free.
- Email us by visiting http://www.ohiovalleyjobs.org/about.html if you are interested in becoming more active in the Ohio Valley Jobs Alliance.
- Attend a local government meeting and let our leaders know we oppose these kinds of deals. Contact us for more information regarding upcoming meetings.
- Attend local rallies – watch the OVJA website, Facebook page and Twitter handle for information about upcoming rallies and events.
- Join us in a petition drive to demonstrate to our elected leaders that thousands of us oppose these special deals. Email us at http://www.ohiovalleyjobs.org/about.html to learn more.
- Write a letter to your local newspaper or government leaders to make sure they hear OUR voices and not just the out-of-state millionaires and corporate interests. Contact us if you need assistance with this.
- Finally, don’t lose faith. While our struggle continues, working together we can help secure a bright future of our workers, our children and our communities.